"This is eternal life, that they may know You, the one true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent." John 17:3

Monday, July 11, 2011

Coffee and the Kindness of my Lord

Today I spent some time at Starbucks, sitting by the window with my bible and journal as rain was pouring down. It reminded me of another rainy day I had spent at a Starbucks...

About 3 years ago, on a rainy day in San Antonio, I had taken my bible and journal to Starbucks. We had moved to TX a couple of months ago and we were loving it; new city, new house, new church...but that day the rain was reminding me of Omaha and the dear people we had just left behind. It made me miss familiarity and the days when I could go to any Starbucks in town and run into a friend.

As I sat there, I journaled and prayed to the Lord, crying a little and asking for His comfort, when all of the sudden I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around, and there were Mary Asher and Martha Zamber, two wonderful ladies from our new church! How wonderful is God's love! I felt so loved by Him, to send these two loving new friends to me exactly in my moment of sadness!

Mary and Martha are in their 60's and have been good friends for a long time. They meet once a week together at that Starbucks to encourage each other in their marriages and ministry and walks with the Lord. I was so happy to see them; the joy of seeing other Christians throughout the day, knowing that these "older" women of the faith still regularly meet to urge each other on, to so keenly see God's kindness and tenderness toward me...God is so kind, and He showed me in a very particular way that rainy day.

Over time, that Starbucks became familiar...it became a place that I would frequently run into people I knew! Hmm...makes me wonder which coffee shop in Tucson will become "our" coffee shop and who we will get to know there....

"How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God! And the children of men take refuge in the shadow of Your wings.
They drink their fill of the abundance of Your house, and You give them to drink of the river of Your delights.
For with You is the fountain of life; in Your light we see light."
Psalm 36:7-9

No comments: