"This is eternal life, that they may know You, the one true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent." John 17:3

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

A Sick but Happy Day

I never thought helping someone throw up would bring me so much joy.

 Today Olivia woke up sick. She gets this stomach bug every so often and today she is weak and nauseated, and I've been tucking her in, cuddling her, and speaking softly and lovingly into her ear when she has to throw up.

As I was watching her fall asleep on my chest I thought back to another time she had this bug - we had had the kids for a few months and at that time she and I hadn't really bonded. Those few days she was sick was a sort of testing period - I was proving my love and devotion to her as her mommy. I still want my mommy when I'm sick, and at that time I hadn't quite won that spot in her life yet. I remember a change in our relationship after that; God had used her sick tummy to bring us closer together. 

"God causes all things to work together for the good of those who love Him, 
who are called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28

Today is different from that day. There is no doubt in her mind that I'll comfort and care for her; she expects it and relies on it. I love being her mommy, her safe place. I love when she asked me today all puppy-eyed, "Mama, will you lay down with me?" and as soon as we got snuggled, she fell asleep. I love thinking about how far God has brought us in the past year and that what my mom is to me, I am becoming to her - just as sure, just as comforting as if I'd been there all along.


3 comments:

Beeker said...

So glad you all are bonding even more!!Its a beautiful thing.

We got the stomach bug this week...and Abigail just got it today. We have been snuggling a lot! A favorite of mine!

Patti said...

That was so heartwarming. You know I still want my Mom when I am sick. I still remember that safe place some 40 years later. Olivia will remember it too! Kate still asks for me to make her cinnamon toast and tea whenever she is feeling under the weather.What a blessing that you are home with those two cuties full time. Blessings for them and for you too! Happy Mother's Day Francey! Love you

Stacia Almeida said...

This is so sweet!